Attributes of Qualification Holders
Those who successfully complete the proposed study programme will obtain knowledge and expertise in areas of energy technology and management, including but not limited to solar PV, solar thermal, wind power, wave power, geothermal energy, energy storage, nuclear energy, hydroelectric and other traditional energy fields, smart grid, energy management in buildings, industry and transportation, energy auditing, energy systems planning, energy economics, energy policy and development, carbon accounting and reduction, and Environmental pollution controls.
Objectives of the Degree Programme
The objectives of the proposed study programme are to provide career advancement and professional accomplishment of potential graduates with a broad foundation of knowledge and research experience at the frontiers of Energy Engineering, and skills for life-long learning and professional development with specialized careers in Sustainable Energy Technologies integrated with Circular Economy approaches in a variety of professional roles and settings. The study programme prepares graduates to achieve professional and career accomplishments as identified in the following Programme Educational Objectives
- Lead teams in the various fields of energy engineering and management, and contribute professionally to social, technological, and economic development both nationally and/or internationally.
- Apply advanced energy technologies to the solutions of complex energy-related engineering problems with circular economy approach and extended knowledge and skills within the context of research for career advancements.
- Acquire 21st century emerging knowledge in energy technology/management and exemplify self-advancement (autonomy in the continuous further professional development) through continuous academic and/or professional development towards circular economy in the energy sector.
- Demonstrate expertise in a core area (track) of energy engineering/circular economy, such as energy for industry, renewable energy, energy management, sustainable development & entrepreneurship/innovation/business.
List of Programme Learning Outcomes
To achieve the intended attributes of those who successfully complete the study programme, twelve Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs) that are in line with the qualification descriptors and the K-SAM model of the Sri Lanka Qualification Framework have been identified.
- Demonstrate broad knowledge on principles, technologies, economic and technical feasibility, and sustainability of energy systems as related to circular economy models.
- Design business models as solutions to problems in the energy sector with circular economy approach by the application of modern tools, software, and web-based applications considering environmental policies, and local and international standards.
- Exhibit competencies in written and verbal communication to convincingly put across the energy sector and circular economy related concepts to the technical people as well as to the layman.
- Recognize the multi-disciplinary nature of energy sector problems and appreciate the importance of teamwork with experts from different disciplines and act, accordingly, giving leadership for such initiatives.
- Practice critical thinking in finding innovative solutions to the issues of energy sector and sustainable development of the society at large.
- Analyze and manage resources and wastes effectively and sustainably as applied to energy related organizations including human resources with underpinning knowledge towards circular economy in the energy sector.
- Collect relevant information and data and analyze them for logical decision making towards finding sustainable and feasible solutions to the energy sector problems.
- Maintain dynamic and harmonious relationships with all organizations and persons, and with the society for achieving cohesive and holistic solutions for issues related to energy sector.
Attitudes, values, professionalism, and vision for life
- Demonstrate willingness to fit into diverse situations in the energy sector industry for the benefit of community at large scale.
- Practice and uphold status of the profession with due consideration given to ethics and values as well as the safety of the society.
- Exhibit self-reliance and work towards unique futuristic goals in line with the social standards and industry norms for circular economy in the energy sector.
Mind-set and paradigm
- Engage in creative research and development work for the professional development and for the advancement of the sustainable energy sector.